Hunt Cemetery is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of Center Village and Green Cook Roads. It is both an active cemetery and an historic cemetery. The earliest burial was in 1832; in 2010 the cemetery was expanded and re-opened including along the north side (location long ago of one of the township’s one-room schools).
Hunt Cemetery contains the grave of one Revolutionary War soldier and the grave of the only soldier from the War with Mexico in the township. Recently we were successful in having one of the badly deteriorated Civil War stones replaced through the federal program (not the easiest thing to do.) Hunt Cemetery also contains a mystery, there is a marker for the Spanish-American War beside the grave of a young child. We have not been able to figure out where the marker rightly belongs.
ADD PICTURE OF HUNT CEMETERY MARKER STONE – 2012-7-11 Picture 4