The Grange, also known as the Patrons of Husbandry, was organized in 1867 to assist farmers with purchasing machinery, building grain elevators, lobbying for government regulation of railroad shipping fees and providing a support network for farm families. By the early 1870s there were more than one million members. Many chapters went on to build their own meeting halls.
The Grange, unlike many organizations during this period, allowed women to become members. The Patrons of Husbandry organized special activities for its women members, helping to provide a support system for farmwomen. The Grange also called for women receiving the suffrage, one of the first predominantly male organizations to do so. Children also participated in the Grange, eventually leading to the creation of the Future Farmers of America (FFA).
In the appreciation of outstanding services rendered in the Grange Projects by members and friends of the Harlem community at the Hartford Fair, Croton, Oh August 8-12, 1967, Grange #2724 Master Floyd Buell accepted an Award of Recognition from the Ohio Grange.
In June 1970, Harlem Grange Master, Floyd Buell secured land and helped to make it possible to build the Grange Hall building located at 12900 Center Village Rd., Galena, Oh 43021. Which was still deeded in his name until 2011.
For many years this is where the members of Harlem Grange # 2724 would meet, but they also served as places for dances, quilting bees, home made Easter candy sales and other social activities, helping alleviate the isolation of farm life.
In October of 2011, Harlem Township Board of Trustees approached the Ohio State Grange with an offer to purchase the Harlem Grange facilities and grounds. The Ohio State Grange accepted their offer in December 2011.
Today this hall is owned by Harlem Township and is used to serve the community with various events throughout the year. This Hall is available to rent. See our facilities page for rental agreement and pricing.