The history of Harlem as a township began in 1810 when it was split off from Sunbury Township. At this time, Harlem Township included either half or all of Genoa Township. In 1816, Genoa Township was set off from Harlem. This division set Harlem Township's boundaries as the original delineation of Township 3, in Range 16, of the U.S. Military District which was established by Congress on June 1, 1796--the boundaries that exist today. The first settlers in the township were the Benajah Cook family who arrived in 1807 when the area was solely occupied by Native Americans. By 1810, when our township was created, there were already about 35 families living here. This was a big change from the unbroken forests that greeted the Cook family.
Today, the rural character of this township remains in the forefront. Harlem residents enjoy relative privacy in their living conditions and minimal commercial encroachment. This is the underlying theme which characterizes our community. With the proper management, continued future development, and the emphasis on rural character, we trust that our community will continue to evolve as a premier place to call home.
Below are images and descriptions of a variety of Harlem Township historical maps. There are a total of 38 maps.
Harlem Township resident and historian Vicki Tieche (the author of several township books and booklets) has collected, collated and created an incredible selection of Harlem maps, reaching back to the oldest map of Harlem on record… 1833… as well as a Rufus Putnam map dated 1798.
A few older township homes may not appear on the early township maps because they were moved intact or piecemeal from different locations.
Mrs. Tieche once stated that she receives “at least one inquiry a month that sends me to the old maps of Harlem Township. Most people want to know how old their house is, or who owned the land before them - and then there are the unusual ones like the person … who wanted to know why there were old bottles and a partial bicycle in her fence row (I explained about old farm dumps as well as letting her know there had been a house there years ago).”
Mrs. Tieche and her wealth of Township Historical knowledge will be greatly missed.
Map 1: WC Mills 1914 Archaeological Atlas of Ohio Page showing Delaware County - there were five Indian mounds in Harlem Township. Mounds are shown as red triangles.
A map composed by Harlem Township resident Vicki Tieche, based on the 1849 map of the township with the locations of the Indian Mounds, Benajah Cook’s cabin, the salt lick on Duncan Run (information from a plat map of the property), and the probable location of Adams / Gorsuch / Duncan Run roads when they were all connected at the time the settlers arrived. The road was called the Worthington Trail and was used by the Native Americans (information gathered partly from the history of the Harlem Road Church).
Original Purchasers of Quarter Townships, dated 1927, but is more likely from around 1800. Harlem Township is a little below and to the right of center.
1798 map of Harlem, Plain, Monroe, and Jersey Townships, examined and signed by Rufus Putnum.
Map 5: Map composed by Vicki Tieche. The cover of the Original Land Grants booklet that shows the original owners of each portion of Harlem Township. The southeastern section was actually given to Revolutionary War veterans for their service.
Map 5A. 1833 -
The oldest map known on record, 16 years earlier than any seen before! The Delaware County Historical Society found this map, which answers the question about where William Fancher Sr lived and where the Fanchers built the first brick house in the township. The ice pond on Miller Paul Road appears to be the remnants of the clay pit from their brick making.
The 1849 map of the township - the second oldest map known on record.
The 1849 map by quadrant - Northeast (NE)
The 1849 map by quadrant - Northwest (NW)
1849 map by quadrant - Southwest (SW)
The 1849 map by quadrant - Southeast (SE)
The 1866 map, which is excellent to use for research, because it shows houses and property owner names.
1866 map by quadrant - Northeast (NE)
1866 map by quadrant - Northwest (NW)
1866 map by quadrant - Southwest (SW)
1866 map by quadrant - Southeast (SE)
The 1875 map, taken from a picture of the map on the wall in the Harlem Township Community Room.
The 1904 topographic map of Harlem Township.
1904 topographic map by quadrant - Northeast (NE)
The 1904 topographic map by quadrant - Northwest (NW)
1904 topographic map by quadrant - Southwest (SW)
1904 topographic map by quadrant - Southeast (SE)
Center Village 1866
1923 Map, 16-3-1
1923 Map, 16-3-2
1923 Map, 16-3-3
1923 Map, 16-3-4
1923 Map, 16-3-4
1945 Map, Area 16-3-1
1945 Map, Area 16-3-2
1945 Map, Area 16-3-3
1945 Map, Area 16-3-4
1968 Map - 16-3-1
1968 Map - 16-3-2