Township cemetery information for all the township cemeteries from the readings done in 2010 is now online at the U.S. Tombstone Transcription Project and in the U.S. GenWeb archives. Access the information by going to the websites below and follow the listed progression for mouse clicks:
U.S. Tombstone Transcription Project » State Projects » Ohio » Delaware County
U.S. GenWeb Archives » Ohio » Delaware » Cemeteries
The online records include a master alphabetical index of all the burials in the township (about 2,750).
The following are brief descriptions of the cemeteries:
Center Village (Centreville) Cemetery: Deeded to the township by the Roberts family in 1858; earliest burial 1856; most recent burial 1925; burial location of War of 1812 and Civil War veterans; A Methodist Episcopal Church, built in 1857, was immediately east of this cemetery.
Cockrell and Wickizer Cemeteries: These two cemeteries were small, family, cholera cemeteries from about 1851. Cockrell Cemetery had up to three burials and was located along Woodtown Road. Wickizer Cemetery also had three burials and was located along Green-Cook Road.
Fancher Cemetery: On land owned by the William Fancher family (1810); earliest burial 1822; currently active cemetery; the oldest of three sections is closest to Fancher Road; burial location of many veterans from the Revolutionary War to the present.
Fancher Cemetery, Barnhard addition: Donated to Harlem Township for cemetery expansion by John L. Barnhard in 2006.
Hanover-Snipetown Cemetery: Named for the Hanover family (1830), owners of the land, and Snipetown, which existed at the intersection of Fancher and Green-Cook Roads; earliest burial 1824; most recent burial 1997; burial location of War of 1812 and Civil War veterans.
Harlem (Buddtown) Cemetery: On land owned by the John Budd family (1809); earliest burial 1814; most recent burial 1913; burial location of Revolutionary War, War of 1812; Civil War veterans, and Reverend Daniel Bennet, founder of the Harlem Methodist Episcopal Church.
Hunt Cemetery: Named for the Daniel Hunt family (1835) who bought the land from Benjamin Gorsuch (1832); earliest burial 1832; re-activated and expanded 2010; burial location of Revolutionary War, War of 1812; War with Mexico, and Civil War veterans.
Maple Grove Cemetery: Established on land owned by R.J. Kern; earliest burial appears to be 1900. North and South sections; currently active cemetery; burial location of many veterans from the Civil War to the present.
Other Cemetery Evidence
At times in the past, families replaced old gravestones with new ones and in some cases took or let people take the old stones to their farms for steps, walkways, milkhouse work-surfaces, etc. So there’s no guarantee that any stones found outside cemeteries in the township were stolen at some time in the past. Occasionally, old stones were used in the cemeteries as support material for new stones being erected.
There were two known small cholera cemeteries in the township with tombstones placed on the graves but because cholera struck multiple times in the 19th century, there may be more small burial sites that haven’t been recorded.
If you find pieces of old gravestones on your property, please report it to the township so the township records can be as accurate as possible.
Military Flag Holders
Between 2011 and 2014, one hundred and thirty (130) flagholders were bought by Harlem Township Heritage for military veterans from the Revolutionary War through modern conflicts buried in our township cemeteries. Funds to buy the flagholders were raised through the sales of township historic booklets and chicken noodle dinners. If you are aware of any military burials in the township cemeteries that don't have flagholders, please email Vicki or call her at 740-965-4535.